The Valley Rock 20 oz Pointed Tip Hammer is similar in weight, and quality, to the Estwing 22oz Pointed Tip Rock Hammer. It is a smaller rock hammer than all the Estwing Rock Hammers except the Estwing 14 oz Pointed Tip Rock Hammer.. One piece drop forged design creates a virtually unbreakable heavy duty hammer - drop forged, heat treated, fully polished. The two-tone Soft-Touch Rubber cushioned grip is form fitting, shock absorbent and non-slip.rubber grip is finger fitted, shock absorbent and non-slip.
The Valley 20 oz Pointed Tip Rock Hammer is similar in weight, and quality, to the Estwing 22oz Pointed Tip Rock Hammer. It is a smaller rock pick than all the Estwing rock picks except the Estwing 14 oz Pointed Tip Rock Hammer. It has a square faced striking surface, larger than the Estwing rock picks, on one end and a pointed pick tip on the other. Made in China but it's high quality. We've sold over 2100 and have only had one returned for a broken tip. (The hammer had what looked like vice marks on it so I suspect the damage was artificially introduced.). This Valley 20 oz Pointed Tip Rock Hammer is a great tool for the professional, student, or recreational geologist and a great rock hammer for rockhounds. It will last you a life time.
|Head Width||Overall Length||Head Weight||Total Weight|
|7 inches||11 inches||20 ounces||1 pound 14.5 ounces|
The Estwing Supreme 13 oz Light Weight Rock Hammer is best described as an Estwing Supreme 22oz Rock Hammer that has been slimmed down to reduce weight. The rock pick is similar is overall size to the Estwing Supreme 22 oz Rock Hammer. The handle is narrower but the length is almost the same as is the length of the head. It differs in that the hammer head (square) striking end is a slightly smaller size and length. The pick end is the same length but tapered to a sharper point.Great hammer for digging fossils from sandstone. Note that the 13 oz specifies the head weight not the total hammer weight. The 14 oz is actually the lightest pointed tip rock pick that we carry.
|Head Width||6 1/4 inches|
|Overall Length||12 1/2 inches|
|Head Weight||13 ounces|
|Total Weight||1 pound 12 ounces|
The Estwing Leather Gripped 13 oz Light Weight Pointed Tip Rock Hammer is best described as an Estwing Leather Gripped 22 oz Pointed Tip Rock Hammer (E-30) that has been trimmed down to reduce weight. The rock pick is similar is overall size to the Estwing Leather Gripped 22 oz Pointed Tip Rock Hammer (E-30). The handle is narrower but the handle length and the the length of the head are basically the same. It differs in that the hammer head striking end is a slightly smaller size and length. The pick end is the same length but tapered to a sharper point. Note that the 13 oz specifies the head weight not the total hammer weight. The 14 oz pointed tip is actually the lightest pointed tip rock hammer we carry.
|Head Width||6 3/4 inches|
|Overall Length||12 7/8 inches|
|Head Weight||13 ounces|
|Total Weight||1 pound 10 ounces|
Provides a primary presentation of the basic rock types. Includes five each of igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks, totaling 15 specimens, approximately 1 1/2" x 1 1/2".
INTRODUCTORY ROCK COLLECTION
This rock collection contains fifteen rocks that are representative of the three major rock types: Igneous, Sedimentary and Metamorphic.
IGNEOUS ROCKS are formed by the cooling of molten rock, either magma or lava.
1. OBSIDIAN is a black or brown volcanic rock composed of quartz and alkali feldspar.
2. GRANITE is a medium to coarse-grained rock derived from magma and is composed primarily of the minerals quartz and alkali feldspar.
3. BASALT is a microcrystalline dark colored lava rock composed mainly of calcic plagioclase and clinopyroxene.
4. SCORIA is a dark colored, vesicular, crust on the surface of lava. The vesicles are the result of escaping gas before solidification.
5. RHYOLITE is a usually light colored lava rock that is of the same composition as granite.
SEDIMENTARY ROCKS are rocks derived from preexisting rocks through the processes of erosion, followed by compaction, or chemical precipitation.
6. SHALE is a rock composed of clay, silt, or mud sized particles that is typically fissile.
7. BRECCIA is composed of angular fragments of limestone or quartz formed by friction or crushing processes.
8. SANDSTONE is essentially sand-sized particles cemented together by calcite, silica, or iron oxides.
9. CONGLOMERATE is a coarse-grained rock composed of rounded fragments set in a fine-grained matrix of sand or silt or other cementing materials.
10. LIMESTONE is a generally light colored rock composed mainly of calcium carbonate formed by either organic or inorganic processes.
METAMORPHIC ROCKS are rocks that are recrystallized by pressure and heat that may or may not be influenced by the introduction of chemically active solutions.
11. SLATE is metamorphosed shale and can be broken along planes independent of original bedding planes.
12. MARBLE is recrystallized limestone (calcite).
13. QUARTZITE is a recrystallized sandstone or chert consisting mainly of quartz.
14. GNEISS is a metamorphosed rock that exhibits alternate banding of granular mineral and flaky minerals.
15. SCHIST is a metamorphosed shale or siltstone composed of parallel aligned micas, amphiboles, pyroxenes or garnets.
Sign in to post a review