The Deluxe Moh's Hardness Pick Set now comes in two case types. The wooden case is small enough to carry and the top screws into the base to make a perfect desk stand. The plastic case is longer but the thinner size makes it easier to carry in your field tool set.
Hardness is an important and quantifiable physical characteristic of a mineral and in your effort to identify an unknown mineral, the hardness, if known, combined with other properties, can narrow your search to just a handful of possibilities. Simply scratch a smooth surface of your unknown mineral with the picks of various indicated hardness. As an example, if a No. 5 pick scratches the mineral, but a No. 4 pick does not, then your mineral hardness is 4.5. Then compare this against a table of minerals listing hardness values to aid in identifying the unknown mineral.
The Deluxe Mohs' Hardness Pick Set
from Mineralab is unique in that, unlike other mineral hardness test tool that use minerals or crystal points, Mineralab picks are made of metals and alloys
of hardness values equal to 2 through 9 on Mohs hardness scale. Because the picks are made of metal, they are easily ground to sharp points which will not break off and which can be easily sharpened.
What is included in the Mineralab's Deluxe Mohs' Hardness Pick Set?
- Four double-ended picks with eight points comprising 2 and 3, 4 and 5,
6 and 7, 8 and 9 on Mohs’ hardness scale.
- High quality brass pinch vises.
- A glass plate (hardness of about 5.5) which, when scratched,
quickly distinguishes hard from soft minerals.
- A second hardness plate with a hardness value of 3.5.
- A streak plate for testing a mineral’s streak color.
- A magnet to test magnetic rocks such as magnetite and pyrrhotite.
- A 100 grit polishing stone to keep the points sharp.
- An attractive, mahogany-finished and compact wooden case.
- Complete usage instructions.
If you are ordering only a Deluxe Moh's Hardness Pick Set you can save money on shipping by choosing USPS Priority Mail. We will use a USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box and I'll adjust your total to pass the savings back to you.
- All points are stamped with the indicated hardness value, and each double-ended
pick body is color coded for quickly finding the desired pick.
- Hardness points can be easily and inexpensively replaced without having to
replace the pick bodies.
- Compact. The wooden storage case is only 7" tall by 2.5" wide.
- Also use to test hardness of various materials encountered in the industrial,
excavation, and archeological fields.
- 1 Year Warranty